MOSS Show/Hide fields using Web Services

Download Link

This Windows Application lets you Hide or Show fields from different list pages.(EditForm, DispForm, NewForm). Ideally if you can use the Object model and manipulate all these field properties (for e.g. ShowinNewForm = false”) or even use Java scripts to on these pages.

I felt Features was too cumbersome for one off requirements and JavaScript, well even thouigh I like all the JS tweaking, it is just not easy to get it working and page updates or field updates would result into failure (Anyway there are good posts around regarding how to use JS for hiding fields even based on permissions).

So to encompass this requirement I put together a Windows application which utilizes share point Web services to query and update the list settings. All you need is a right account to manipulate the list settings

Before going through the Steps let me give a brief scenarios where it might be useful.

Workflow:

A user places a new Issue Request using Issues List. He enters neccessary info but “Priority” field is not available to him( it will assigned by Admin). The Admin also doesnt want the user to change already placed Issue.

The request will trigger a worklfow which will start a review process on the new item and Admin will assign a priority to the placed Issue.

1. You give create a new permission role to just Add items and then assign a group to it.

2. You will Hide all the Admin fields using this Tool on NewForm.aspx page for the list.

3. Create a workflow where Admin gets notified on new Request and direct him to Edit Form page where he sees additional fields like Admin comments and priority.

Anyway below are the steps to Hide Fields using this tool

Steps:

1. Enter Url.
2. Enter Credentials (incase you are not using default credentials)

From Sharepoint

3. select a list

4. Browse through fields and update respective properties.

this wouldnt have been possible without U2U or Stramit Caml Viewer (tools which I use the most)

Note there might be bugs which I haven’t tested. But the source code is available in codeplex so feel free to take a look at it

Resource Links

http://devlicio.us/blogs/derik_whittaker/archive/2007/09/19/updating-list-information-in-sharepoint-via-web-services.aspx

Advertisements
  1. Tathagat
    June 26, 2009 at 5:22 pm

    Hi,
    I tired exactly the way you listed. However it does not work for me. I still the Summary Link type column in my custom list field.
    Please let me know what I can be doing wrong.
    Thanks a lot!
    Tathagat

    • bazztrap
      June 26, 2009 at 5:24 pm

      What error do you receive?

  2. oshi
    December 22, 2009 at 10:52 am

    Hi ,
    what you did is great!!
    the only problem is that not all the fields are in the presented table.
    I added a field with single text line and it doesn’t appear, can you think why?

    • bazztrap
      December 22, 2009 at 2:41 pm

      Not really it should load all user generated fields, can you reload the application and try it out.

  3. Dan Murray
    February 28, 2011 at 11:58 pm

    I never comment on forums, but THIS IS GREAT! Perfect solution, easy to use, no compiling, no installation. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

  4. September 28, 2011 at 11:23 am

    Hi,
    It looks like a brilliant tool. but it is not working for me. I am not getting any error but the changes re not relfecting.

  1. September 18, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: