Home > Field, Fixes, Javascripts, Jquery, List, SharePoint > Fix "Render Failed" Error on Groupby View using Jquery

Fix "Render Failed" Error on Groupby View using Jquery

I recently encountered this error “<!– #RENDER FAILED –&gt”.

image

I found the cause for it after searching and browsing various posts and comments about this error.

Cause:

Well it is a bug and hasnt been fixed anyway the below are the steps/combinations that cause it.

1. Calculated Field from another list is being used as Lookup Column value in your list.
  2.  Group By the Look Up field (linked to Calculated Field in other List)
  3. Group Setting: Collapsed.

Solution: Apparently from the forums I visited turning Collapsed to Expanded in group setting fixes it and it does. Woo Hoo!.

But the problem is Collapsed setting is used to save real estate and this fix defeats that purpose.

image

Fixing with Group settings Collapsed

I had read about this Collapsing all Groups feature post at end user SharePoint  by Paul Grenier using Jquery and that seemed like a perfect candidate for this.  In This solution we shall turn Group setting to Expanded and use JavaScript to collapse on load.

Steps:
  1. Set the Group Setting to Expanded ( this will fix the error)
  2. Use the collapse all code Paul Grenier provides fire it during load.
    1. Add  Content Editor to the Page
    2. Click Edit Web Part and Add the Code below to Source Editor section of the Web Part and in Appearance Section select frame type as “None”.
<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.2.6/jquery.min.js" type= "text/javascript">

</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function collapseGroups() {
    $("img[src='/_layouts/images/minus.gif']:visible").parent().click();
}

_spBodyOnLoadFunctionNames.push("collapseGroups");
</script>

3. This will Collapse your Expanded Groups.

image

Done!

Issues with this method: I think in regular Group “Expand Collapse” SharePoint remembers your last collapse or group by setting. This script will ignores all that and collapses everything on Page Load

Now there are other ways to accomplish this.

• Event handler instead of Calculated column to do the calculations and storing value in the field and use that field as look up.
  • JavaScript on Edit and New Form page, by adding  a new field and using Scripts to hide the field and populating them with calculated value (calculation done in the script). Click here to learn more
About these ads
  1. Sayan
    June 1, 2009 at 4:11 am | #1

Thanks for such a simple solution.It truly worked wonders in fixing my issue.However,I still have one problem.My page has about 500 items grouped under different groups.However,as soon as I choose the expanded view,it displays only the first 100 items and distributes the rest in successive pages.The javascript naturally doesnt disable the paging after collapsing the data.Is there any simple way to disable the paging and view the entire data in one page?

2. bazztrap
    June 1, 2009 at 1:57 pm | #2

Check the item limit setting under view settings page. You might have batch size specified as 100. Change that to 2000

3. Sayan
    June 2, 2009 at 1:39 pm | #3

thanks a lot bazztrap.That worked like a dream. Actually I had figured that out just a little while ago.But thanks anyway for the prompt bulls eye solution.

4. Thangu
    February 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm | #4

Thank you so much!I was facing another issue trying to do lytebox pop for collapsed grouping.This is so helpful.

5. Sean
    March 29, 2010 at 8:07 pm | #5

I’ve been trying for weeks to get this to work. Maybe it’s because I’m using jquery 1.4, but your code never collapsed the groups. I made a couple of small modifications based on the updated code on Paul Grenier’s update for jquery 1.3

This works

function collapseGroups() {
    $(“img[src*='minus.gif']:visible”).parent().click();
    }

6. Kelly
    June 10, 2010 at 12:35 am | #6

You stunner! this is great thanks!

7. Kelly
    June 10, 2010 at 2:32 am | #7

This may be a stupid questions, however, is there any way to change the jquery script so that it can be stored locally rather than at http://ajax.googleapis.com

we have some users that do not have access to the internet. I have downloaded the JQuery 1.2.6 and store it in a library on the site but just replacing the URL does not seem to work

• bazztrap
      June 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm | #8

It should, can you download latest jquery and see if Sean’s suggestion works ?
      —————-
      function collapseGroups() {
      $(“img[src*='minus.gif']:visible”).parent().click();
      }

8. tyler
    July 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm | #9

I’m still getting render failed, even when ‘expanded’ is checked.

Formula is as follows

=IF([Request Status]=”Cancelled”,”N/A”,IF(ISBLANK([Date Proposal Due]),”Proposal due date not populated”,IF(ISBLANK([Date of Proposal Delivery]),”Delivery Date Needed”,IF(([Date of Proposal Delivery]>[Date Proposal Due]),([Date of Proposal Delivery]-[Date Proposal Due]&” Days late”),”On-Time”))))

9. July 19, 2010 at 7:57 pm | #10

Worked for me. I’m at April 09 CU Updates. I wonder if this has been fix yet in newer CUs.
    Thanks for the help!